Registered Clinical Counsellor #8675
Empowering the Process of Change and Growth
I have been a Family and Clinical Counsellor for over 20 years. My work has brought me into the lives of many individuals, couples, families, children and youth presenting a wide range of issues and problems. I have assisted people through the hardship of mental health and addictions, parenting conflicts, trauma, couples entrenched in anger and the individual who just needed to talk and be heard.
Areas of Experience, Knowledge and Skills
Support for the Individual to Live with Well-Being
- Solution and strength based focused counselling to resolve problems with Anger, Stress, Depression, Suicide, Anxiety and Trauma
- Life Skill coaching to resolve problems and obtain goals
- Supporting sobriety and freedom from Drug and Alcohol addiction
- Therapeutic treatment for Childhood Trauma and Family of Origin issues
Couples Counselling, Living in a Full, Healthy Relationship
- Resolve Communication Difficulties and build better communication skills,
- Diffuse Ongoing Conflicts and strengthen bond and connection,
- Clarify Gender Roles, needs and wants
- Understand and Resolve Power and Control Issues while developing safety, trust, support and communitment
- Stop Physical and Emotional Abuse
Family Issues and the Importance of Healthy Attachment
- Pragmatic Skills for Struggling Parents
- Understand attachment and bonding for a healthy family
- Mediation for Family Conflict,
- Communication and Interpersonal Skill Building,
- Support and Skill building for Single Parent and Blended Families,
- Pragmatic Understanding and Support for Child Protection Issues,
- Grief counselling for Loss due to Separation, Divorce and Death.
- Family Violence Counselling
Children’s Issues, Growing Up
- Pro Active, knowledge and skill based responses for issues such as ADHD, Anger, Defiance, Depression, FASD and Trauma
- Counselling and Support to Work with School and Peer Difficulties, Learning Disables and Poor Social Skills,
- Support for Parents and Children with Asperger’s Syndrome
Struggling Youth, Young Adult in Training
- Counselling and support with a strong solution focus orientation for such issues as Anxiety, Drug and Alcohol, Bad Music, Messy Rooms, Criminal Behaviours,
- Lousy Social Skills, Poor Peer Influences, Violence, Depression, Suicide
Separation and Divorce, The Phoenix Rises
I provide divorce coaching and counselling services for couples undergoing separation and divorce. My services will assist you to manage this intense emotional process, clarify your position and prepared you for negotiations.
- Save money by avoiding or reducing lengthy and expensive legal actions. Lawyers are expensive, I’m not
- Skills to stop angry, argumentative and threatening behaviours
- Communication abilities to clearly articulate position
- Preparation for negotiations and the legal process
- Managing strong emotional reactions such as anger, guilt, powerlessness and fear
- Planning and preparation for a new life
- Shared parenting issues such as visitation planning and parenting conflicts
- Advocacy and support for client during meeting and Supervised visits for parents with children
Strength Based Counselling
¨ I believe each person has their own unique strengths, knowledge, skills and ability to resolve their problems.
¨ My counselling methods are solution focused to enable people to resolve problems in a timely, effective manner.
¨ Methods are integrated within a program of life skills instruction, counselling and education tailored to meet the needs of the individual.
¨ In each counselling session a person will gain practical skills and knowledge they can apply immediately to help resolve their problems.
¨ The heart of my practice is to empower the process of change and growth
Education and Training
- Master Degree in Child and Youth Care, University of Victoria, My study focused on domestic violence and the treatment of men who batter.
- Bachelor of Arts in Child and Youth Care, Malaspina College. A pragmatic, clinically based counselling directed on working with families, parents, children and youth.
- More than 15 years’ experience working with individuals, parents, families children and youth
- Training, knowledge and skills in a variety of therapeutic and theoretical models:
- Solution-Focused, Narrative Therapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Alderian, Attachment theory, Play therapy, Satir’s Family Approach, Somatic Experiencing
- Private family counselling practice serving Duncan, Cowichan Valley and Nanaimo
- Mental Health Clinician (Child and Youth) for the Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Family Counsellor (with various NGOs )for high risk families, children and youth
- Counselling and support for First Nation’s families
- Behaviour Interventionist for children and youth with Asperger’s syndrome
- Child Protection Social Worker for MCFD
- Support Worker for Drug and Alcohol Residential Program
- Child and Youth Care Worker in Alternative School for high risk youths
- Group Facilitator: Men’s Domestic Violence Treatment Groups, Parenting and Father’s group
Counselling session 80.00 per session
Couple counselling first session is 90 minutes and a fee of 120.00
1555 Longwood Road
Cowichan Bay, British Columbia